Friday 30 December 2011

Very proud of myself

Posted by Unknown at 12:28
So as a last minuet decision David and I decided to go see some friends in Gympie for New Years. I made it very clear that I couldn't be that close to my parents without seeing them. We have had David's family up for a few weeks before Christmas, but I didn't get to see my family (first time in 29 years I haven't spent Christmas with mum and dad).

I promptly burst into tears crying that "I miss my mummy". Yes I still call her mummy, and yes I do still get homesick!

David being the loving supportive husband he is burst out laughing at me. Apparently I'm supposed to be mature at 29 and not miss my parents to the point of tears.

He then surprised me by saying that he would be ok at home without me if I wanted to stay a few extra days. Luckily flights were cheap so this afternoon we are driving to Gympie then on Sunday we will get to Brisbane. David drives home on Monday because he has to work on Tuesday, but I get to stay until Thursday and fly home! Excited!

So today I have been busy, making sure the house is clean and packing. I also made some yummy meals for David while I'm away that he can just defrost and eat. The one I'm most proud of is the risotto. I have never been very good at it, but this time I decided to try it in the slow cooker! U recommend that all risotto should be done from here on out in the slow cooker because it is amazing!

1 cup arborio rice
2 cups of water with chicken stock mixed in
1 teaspoon of minced garlic
1 chicken breast diced
1 onion sliced
1 cup of each sweet potato, potato, pumpkin and carrot cubed
1 teaspoon of butter
a sprinkling of mixed herbs and pepper to taste

Brown the chicken and onion together (it's always better if you cook the onion and brown the meat before you put it in the slow cooker.
Chuck everything in the slow cooker and cover with the chicken stock and water (I had to add a little extra water after a couple of hours).
Cook on low for 4 - 6 hours (depending on your slow cooker, mine takes about 6 hours).

This should give you 2 large servings, so David has dinner and then lunch for the next day.

He also has my very own version of pasta bake.


500g mince
1 onion
1 teaspoon minced garlic
2 cups of mixed veggies (optional)
1 tin of tomatoes or 3 diced fresh tomatoes
1 bottle of pasta sauce

2 cups pasta

Cheese sauce
2 teaspoons butter
1 heaped teaspoon flour
Salt and pepper to taste
1 teaspoon minced garlic
Milk ( you will need to judge the amount based on how thick you want the sauce, if you make it too runny just add a little more flour)
Cheese to taste

Cook mince, onion garlic, veggies and tomatoes in a fry pan and add sauce (if you like it really tomatoey add a tin on tomato soup as well!)

In a small pot melt butter add garlic salt and pepper.
Add flour, take off heat and stir.
Put back on heat and use a whisk stirring constantly as you add the milk.
Add extra milk or flour as needed until you have and nice white sauce (if I was making corned meat this would be the point I would add a slash of dry white wine for a lovely white sauce).
Add cheese to taste (David likes his really cheesy so I add about 1 1/2 cups)
Stir until cheese is melted and leave on a low heat.

Cook your pasta (I usually wiz it through the microwave for 15 mins while I make the mince and cheese sauce).

Mix mince, pasta and cheese sauce together and place in oven proof dish. Sprinkle with cheese and bake in oven until cheese on top is brown.

This gives 4 large servings and has a lasagna type taste without the hassle of layering pasta sheets sauce and cheese sauce!

I also made him honey mustard chicken with noodles, but this is totally boring as I just used a bottle of sauce on browned chicken, onion and garlic. Also threw in a clue of handfuls of mixed veggies.

Pretty sure he won't starve while I'm away, and it is much better than take-out which he would probably rather do than making something himself! He hates cooking lol.

Hope everyone has an amazing New Years! God bless for 2012!




- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Good Wife Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting