Friday 27 January 2012

My Little Soapbox

Posted by Unknown at 20:34
I'm generally an easy going person, but something has really got my goat. Yesterday, Australia day, a day of celebration was tarnished by a senseless act of hatred. Those involved can call it a "peaceful protest" all they want, but it was hatred.

I want to make something very clear. I'm not a racist. I couldn't care less what colour your skin is. I have friends, and I work with people who are indigenous Australians. I have no problem with them and aborigines as a people.

When, however, you burn my flag, when you deliberately take words spoken out of context and twist their meaning, saying that they inspire racism and hatred. Well then I have a problem.

What really got up my nose was one of these "peaceful protestors" saying that they only want to be treated as equals.

I have a solution for you. No government handouts, no special treatment, no cheap housing, no free education. You want to be treated equally, sure thing. Work hard for every cent. Scrimp and save to get the things you want. Work hard in school to get where you want to go in life (once again I know this isn't all indigenous people, some do work very hard to make a good life for themselves). Don't stand there with you hand out for your check each week and say that white Australians are racist towards you, that we are the ones that hate, that you don't have equal rights. Too right we don't have equal rights! I would love to take some time off work knowing all the bills would be paid, that I could study for free and live in cheap housing.

You want us to be equal, fine, hand back all the hand outs and treat us like normal human beings.

And don't ever burn our flag! Yes OUR flag, our heroes went to war under to make this a free country for ALL. You can choose to have your flag because you are proud of your heritage, fine with me, but don't disrespect our national symbol of freedom.

You want us to go home? We are home, this is as much my country as yours, I was born and bred here. I love Australia. You couldn't pay me enough money in all the world to live anywhere else. And while we go home, how about you go home, because your people weren't originally from here either.

Ok rant over. I know this isn't indicative of all aboriginals, it's always the few that give the rest a bad name. We need to get over the colour of our skin or who was here first. That's generations ago, it's nothing to do with me. We are all Australians start acting like it!


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 

The Good Wife Copyright © 2011 Design by Ipietoon Blogger Template | web hosting